Epitaphs from the Cemetary of Worcester Common
18. James Cowden - d. Oct. 1, 1748; a. 63.
19. Mary Goodwin, w. of Capt. J. Goodwin, (No. 168) ; d.
July * 1749; a. 33.
20. Martha Boyd Young, w. of David Y. (No. 174.) d. Oct.
6, 1749 ; a. 65.
21. Mary Forbush, w. of James F. (No. 92) ; d. Dec. 6,
174[9?] ; a. 25.
22. Ann Forbush, dr. of James and Mary F.; d. May 9,
174[9?] ; a. 9.
23. Elisabeth Thomas; d. July 27, 1750; a. 12.
24. Rebekah Brown, w. of James B. (No. 184); d. Feb. 26,
(0. S.) 1750; a 42.
[For information as to several of the Brown family, see
Line. Hist. 269.]
25. Capt. Benj. Flagg; d. June 12, 1751; a. 61. His epi
" So man lieth down and riseth not till the heavens be
no more; They shall not awake nor be called out of their
26. Elisabeth Lydia Brown, w. of Lieut. Luke B.; d. Aug.
[11 : T. R.] 1751: a. about 27.
" Reader, behold as you pass by,
As you are living so was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me."
27. Prudence Harrington, w. of Francis H. (No. 120) d. * *
1751 ? a. *
28. Jonas Rice, Esq. ; d. Sep. 20, [22, by T. R.] 1753; a. 81.
[Upon his grave-stone it is stated that " he was the first settler in Wr. and one of the Judges of the Inferior Court for Worcester." Judge Rice also served in the capacities of Selectman, Town Clerk, Schoolmaster, Representative at General Court, and in other public offices in Worcester, as the Town Records most abundantly show. He was the first School-teacher in this place, having been appointed for that office by a vote of the town April 4, 1726. His son Adonijah, an ancestor of Wm. Eaton, Esq. of this place, was the first male child born in Worcester; A. D. 1714, Nov. 7.]
A Note About These Pages
This is the total extent of what I currently have on cemetaries in Worcester.
I don't have a list of graves from any other cemetaries available.
I don't know how to find your long lost relatives online, etc.
Futher information on this subject can be probably be found at the Worcester Historical Society. I'm not a member, and don't know much about what they have, but I'm sure it's more than I have.
This is not an official page of the city of Worcester. The views contained within this site is not from any official or funded by the city in anyway.Other Features