Index | News & Weather | Humor | Opinions | History | City Info | Messageboard
Epitaphs from the Cemetary of Worcester Common
240. Sarah Barber, w. of Robert B. (ante No. 130) ; d. June 9 ; a. 86.
241. Peter Goulding ; b. Dec. 30, 1736 ; d. July 14, 1790;
a. 54. The epitaph is:
" Friends & Physician could not save My mortal body from the grave, Nor can the grave confine me here When Christ shall call me to appear."
[" His death was occasioned by a fall from the frame of
a house." Mass. Spy, July 22.]
242. Elizabeth Goddard, dr. of Samuel and Abigail G.; d.
Sep. 21 ; a. 20.
243. Jonathan Rice; d. June 16, 1791 ; a. 56.
[" For many years a Deputy Sheriff an honest man and a good citizen." Mass. Spy, June 23, 1791. lie was one of the " law and order" volunteers at the time of the famous Shay's Rebellion, and at a skirmish with the insurgents at New Braintree in this county, he was shot through the hand and arm. See also Linc. Hist. 149.]
244. James Goulding, s. of Ignatius and Elizabeth G.; d.
Aug. 4 ; a. 27. [Same epitaph as 238.]
245. Mrs. Martha Holbrook; d. Sep. 27; a. 23.
" Corruption, Earth & Worms,
Will but refine this flesh
Until my spirit corns again
And puts it on afresh." (Ep.)
246. Elnor Moore, w. of Capt. David M. (No. 257); d. Oct.
1 ; a. 63.
247. Phinehas Flagg, s. of Col. Benj. and Abigail F.; d. Oct.
1 ; a. 39.
" Why do we mourn departing friends,
Or shake at Death's alarms,
Tis but the voice which Jesus sends,
To call them to his arms." (Ep )
248. John Heath Knight, s. of Edward and Elizabeth K.; d.
# " 1791 ; a. 11 m. 15 da.
Here I lay
And rest my head
Till Christ appear
And raise the dead." (Ep.)
249. George Flagg, s. of Silas and Anna F.; d. Jan. 3, 1792; a. 2 m. 14 da.
A Note About These Pages
This is the total extent of what I currently have on cemetaries in Worcester.
I don't have a list of graves from any other cemetaries available.
I don't know how to find your long lost relatives online, etc.
Futher information on this subject can be probably be found at the Worcester Historical Society. I'm not a member, and don't know much about what they have, but I'm sure it's more than I have.
This is not an official page of the city of Worcester. The views contained within this site is not from any official or funded by the city in anyway.Other Features