Index | News & Weather | Humor | Opinions | History | City Info | Messageboard
Epitaphs from the Cemetary of Worcester Common
181. Capt. Daniel Ward; d. May 21; a. 77. His epitaph is
Now I behold with sweet delight
The Blessed Three in One,
And strange affections fix my sight
On God's Incarnate Son."
[Capt. Ward is perhaps the person referred to by Mr.
Lincoln, when he says-in giving a description of the hous
es and streets of Worcester as they appeared about the year
1120-that " Daniel tihard had built nearly opposite the
Old South Meeting-House," which was probably near the
site of I. M. Barton's present residence. See Line. Hist.
182. David Fisk ; d. Nov. 23; a. 44.
183. Hannah Goddard, w. of John G. (No. 219.) d. Dec. 10;
184. James Brown ; d. Jan. 11, 1778; a. 67; [Same epitaph
as in No. 181.]
185. Eunice Lovell, dr. of Jonathan and Mary L ; d. Mar.
2; a. 22 ms.
186. Lydia Goddard, dr. of Sam'I and Abigail G; d. Aug. 9;
187. James Tanner; d. Sept. 6; a. 36.
188. John Greenleaf of Boston ; d. Feb. 21, 1779 ; a. 64.
[Same epitaph as in No. 136. This stone lies prostrate
in the extreme N. E. corner of the yard.]
189. William Taylor, Jr., s. of Wm. and Lois T; d. Mar. 7;
" Youth forward, Death soon Nips; Vain World farewell to you, Heaven is my native air, I bid my friends a short adieu, Impatient to be there." (Epitaph.)
190. Othniel Taylor ; b. Oct. 19, 1698; d. July 29, 1779;
" O ! may my Humble Spirit stand,
Among them Clothed in White,
at CHRIST'S Right Hand
is infinite Delight." (Ep.)
191. Abraham Wheeler ; d. Oct. 20, 1780; a. 80.
192. Jonathan Fisk ; d. Jan. 8, 1781 ; a. 52.
A Note About These Pages
This is the total extent of what I currently have on cemetaries in Worcester.
I don't have a list of graves from any other cemetaries available.
I don't know how to find your long lost relatives online, etc.
Futher information on this subject can be probably be found at the Worcester Historical Society. I'm not a member, and don't know much about what they have, but I'm sure it's more than I have.
This is not an official page of the city of Worcester. The views contained within this site is not from any official or funded by the city in anyway.Other Features